Thursday, October 25, 2012

Week 10

This week in sociology, we talked about influences from our childhood that make us who we are today. Nature, which is the natural, non-influenced factors that affect us, and nurture, which are the sociological factors that impact us, work hand-in-hand when considering why we grow up to be who we are. From conception, we are influence by our mothers, who we are most impacted by in forms on nurture. From the very beginning, our mothers drastically impact the outcome of our life, and influence what kind of person we are, and this is not necessarily solely based on genetics. Naturally, one could argue that siblings share the same values with one another because they all were influence by the same mother, whereas the parents may have different values due to their different parents. It is all based on perspective. This is a really compelling topic because it poses the question: which is more impacting, nature or nurture? And many sociologists and the realm of sociology ultimately argue that nurture is more impacting due to our socialized world. And I would agree with this. I do share the same values with my family, which is caused by nurture, despite the fact that all of us were born at different times, years and different places, and grew up in different places,which could be considered nature. The dynamics of a family, I believe, are firmly based off of the initial nurture of the mother to the child.

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting point of view. I agree with the fact that mothers provide the nurture part of what influences an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple thoughts... I think the recent conclusions are that it is both nature and nurture that work together. As for the sibling, the reality is that people are changing all the time, so the same parent of one kid is not the same parent that he/she is 4 years later when he/she has a second kid. The other thing is that having a sibling changes the dynamic of the family. So the second kid is being raised in a family of four instead of 3. It is a different dynamic. Although, yes, I think being raised in the same family helps to instill similar nurturing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that nurture plays a huge role in a child's development, but i also think nature (genetics) has something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete