Thursday, December 6, 2012

Week 16- The Human Race.

This week in sociology, we discussed race as a sociological construct, as opposed to the perceived notion that race is a biologically determined. We discovered that there truly is no biological difference between these races and that different fingerprints, for example, are not common in one "race", but rather vary over a wide spectrum of people. We also determined that race changes from culture to culture, making race relative as a social construct. In Brazil, for example, they have multiple types of race that are solely determined by physical characteristics, rather than America'a way of distinguishing race by ancestry. Therefore, we decided that ones race would change from culture to culture- race is not limited to one specific definition, nor is it something that should separate us all. We are all apart of one race: the human race.

This week was yet another insightful week in sociology. I learned things that I already knew about race, but this week I realized how dramatic sociological construction of reality really is on one's own perception of reality. In the American culture, we are faced with the task to try to overcome racism, especially due to our eventful past involving racism. However, I realized that we are all under the misconception that racial differences is a huge problem in our society. However, I believe that if we enforced more ideas on how race is simply sociological, there would be less emphasis on racial discrimination, as well as less differences between races. I do think the idea of race is ultimately timeless, no matter how hard we try, but I do believe that as a united society, we should be able to overcome some of the obstacles that race brings.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your insight on the idea of not separate races, but the human race. I completely agree and believe that just the color of someone's skin, or their fingerprint or blood should affect how we treat them.

    ReplyDelete